In 1835 this was the site of a log cabin church named St John Francis Regis. In 1857 the building of the brick church was initiated with the name of Immaculate Conception. Bishop John Joseph Hogan selected the church to become a cathedral in 1882. The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception went thru many renovations and growth. In 1960 Bishop John P. Cody was responsible for this city landmark by finishing the cross, dome and cupola with gold leaf. This gold dome stands out throughout downtown Kansas City.