Saturday, December 10, 2011

Bread

I visited this little bread bakery, Fervere,  in what has become my new favorite area, 17th and Summit.  Fervere bakes their bread in an oven that is fashioned after the communal ovens of ancient Europe.   The fire is built on the baking surface to heat the massive oven and then swept clean for the baking.  All of Fervere's flours are organic as with all their other ingredients when possible.  I purchased the Grain Travel Bread which was absolutely fantastic.  This little bakery is only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  You can see the oven in the background.

10 comments:

cieldequimper said...

Oh wow, that looks good.

I hope they knead their dough. Over here, more and more bakeries have their dough delivered, all they have to do is shape it and then bake it. They are now forbidden by law to call themselves artisan bakers...

Teresa said...

pane rustica!

alex said...

mmm.

Sharon said...

This reminds me so much of the Poilane Bakery in Paris. I was lucky enough to get a tour of the bakery on my last trip and the breads look so much like these and the brick is the same. Somewhere in my archives I've got some photos of the young apprentice loading that brick oven with bread dough using a long wooden paddle.
I'm sure I would love this place.

RedPat said...

I want to go and try some of those samples!

Randy said...

What no scratch and sniff card to go with the wonderful photo? What a great looking store. All you need it some wine and cheese.

Halcyon said...

This is a place I know I could not resist! Looks delicious. :)

Jack said...

It looks wonderful. Don't I wish I could also smell it!

Leif Hagen said...

Look at all that yummy in the tummy bread! Now that's my kind of bakery!
Happy Advent, Regina!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to check this out!! LOVE your blog :)