Sunday, July 31, 2011
Uriah Spray Epperson hired eccentric French architect Horace LaPierre to design the monumental house. Construction on the house began in 1919 and was completed in 1923 at a cost of $450,000. The four-story Tudor-Gothic structure contained 54 rooms, including six bathrooms, elevators, swimming pool, billiard room, barbershop, a custom organ, and a tunnel linking the east and west wings.
The building is well known for its apparent hauntings and secret passageways, which earned it a spot on Unsolved Mysteries as one of the top five haunted houses in the United States