Tuesday, October 11, 2011

St Mary's Kansas


St. Mary's Academy and College is a Traditional Catholic School.  It was originally a mission founded in 1848 that provided schooling for the Potawatomi Indians.  The Oregon Trail passed right thru the area and the mission offered mass, rest and change of horses before the travelers took off across the prairie.  Today this is a liberal arts college promoting the possibility of a religious vocation.

I have driven past this arch many times and finally took the time to stop.  

7 comments:

cieldequimper said...

Good that you stopped. I'm not too sure about the schooling for the Potawatomis (was it one of those assimilation schools? No, maybe too early). It's impressive and the colour is beutiful, sort of fitting for arts.

Sharon said...

It has a very strong institutional look to it.

RedPat said...

Love that shot with red building showing through the arch!

Halcyon said...

It's beautiful!

Randy said...

I really like the red color. Not normally what you see at a Catholic school.

Tanya Breese said...

campuses have such great history and architecture....i'm sure most of the kids attending don't even give it a second thought!

Teresa said...

I've been there!!!! When I was sixteen!!!! I just posted a comment on your latest post and It didn't even hit me until I looked at these other photographs...Nice to know it's still standing.